Thursday, August 13, 2009

My Letter to Representative Tyler on Texting While Driving, followed by her answer

August 4, 2009

Dear Representative Tyler,

I saw on the news today that Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood is convening a special panel to decide what federal rules (laws) will be put in place to prohibit texting while driving.

Once again the feds are sticking their noses into a matter that should be the sole province of the several state legislatures. This is only the latest example of federal bureaucrats showing their contempt for our state legislature; they believe they are much wiser than the hayseeds in Middle America. As already demonstrated on other issues, you can be sure that when they enact these new rules they will coerce the states to comply on penalty of losing federal highway funds.

Let me be clear – I have no objection to a state law that prohibits texting while operating a motor vehicle. I actually think such a law would be a good idea and would support it. But such a law should be a state initiative, not a federal mandate backed by threats of withholding tax dollars that the states sent to them in the first place.

We continue to lose our state sovereignty in dribs and drabs. I fear for our children and grandchildren.

Sincerely,

Thomas W. McCort
New Troy, MI 49119


Dear Mr. McCort:

Thank you for your email regarding texting while driving. It is important to me to know the concerns of my constituents, so I am grateful that you have taken the time to contact me regarding this issue.

I agree with you that we need to be careful of becoming entirely beholden to the federal government. There is a proposal to ban texting while driving that is already before House Transportation Committee, and they hope to vote on it sometime in the fall. While the practice does pose a risk to driving, I am also concerned with more freedoms being lost. I appreciate your thoughts on this matter, and will keep them in mind as I continue to evaluate this legislation.

Again, thank you for taking the time to write to me. It is an honor to serve as your state representative, and I hope you will feel free to contact me again with any other questions or concerns.

Sincerely,


REPRESENTATIVE SHARON TYLER
78th District
1097 House Office Building
P.O. Box 30014
Lansing, Michigan 48909-7514
Phone: (517) 373-1796
Toll Free: 888-373-0078
FAX: (517) 373-5918
E-MAIL: SharonTyler@house.mi.gov

2 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

"While the practice does pose a risk to driving, I am also concerned with more freedoms being lost." She should have stopped @ "does pose a risk to driving". It's the cost of a poor educational system that we have to regulate people NOT to be stupid, while driving, or doing other things. They treat us like bumpkins because we ACT like bumpkins. If the Michigan legislature can't act fast enough, then I don't mind the feds taking the necessary action, though I don't think it's enough. Ban cell phone use while driving all together. It's like our right to bear arms. If you're going to own and/or shoot a gun, you have an obligation to shoot straight and kill whatever it is you're shooting, and with the least amount of shots possible. If drivers are too stupid to realize the danger involved w/texting or talking on a cell, then SOMEBODY needs to tell them....or would you rather wait until one of your loved ones is killed by such a fool?